Costa-Mesa.com is For Sale!



Costa Mesa California,
The Orange County Performing Arts Center
Costa Mesa California was once grazing grounds for cattle belonging to the Mission San Juan Capistrano. At the beginning of the 19th century, missionaries built an adobe Estancia or way-station for the vaqueros who tended the herds. This structure still stands and was recently restored and transformed by the City into a museum at 1900 Adams Avenue.

By the late 1800's the little town of Harper, named after a nearby rancher, had emerged on a siding of the Santa Ana and Newport Railroad. On May 11, 1920, Harper officially changed its name to Costa Mesa, which means coastal tableland in Spanish, and continued as an agricultural community, growing sweet potatoes, corn, tomatoes, strawberries, and apples (today the dominant industries are trade, services, manufacturing, finance/insurance and real estate). World War II brought many thousands of people to the area for training at the Santa Ana Army Air Base, located on what is now the Orange County Fairgrounds, Orange Coast College, and the present site of the Civic Center. When the war ended, many of these men returned with their families to begin the population boom which continues today. On June 29, 1953, the City was incorporated and City Council-Manager form of government was chosen. The new City had an area of 3.5 square miles and a population of 16,840. Today, the population had risen to over 100,000 and the area to 17 square miles.

Today, Costa Mesa, with its world class Costa Mesa hotels and restaurants, is a major commercial and industrial center of Orange County. The city, which formally adopted the slogan The City of the Arts in late 1984, is home to a regional symphony orchestra, the South Coast Repertory Theater and the Orange County Performing Arts Center.



Costa Mesa California,
Costa Mesa California
Costa Mesa California,


Costa Mesa California

The Complete Guide
to Palm Springs!



Castello Cities Internet Network, Inc.